Images on Glass course – Decals

I started a new glass making course at Richmond Adult Community College – “Images on Glass”.  No surprise but I’m already loving the course and it’s only week 1.  Three more Saturdays of exploring and experimentation with different methods of applying images to glass.

First and foremost a quick introduction for ‘newbies’ to types of glass to use (Bullseye or Float), compatibility and how to cut glass.

This week we rummaged through an old box of decals and found our images to practice with.  I selected poppies as I loved the vivid red but was unsure whether it would remain so vivid once fired.  (I did say there was experimentation, right?).

We painted on other glass with enamels (mixing with acrylic media (water based and gloss)).

Another method was by using leaves and grass.  We made prints from them by rolling ink over the leaf/grass and then rolling this over the glass to leave the image on the glass.

One further experiment was to see if we were able to create our own ‘transfers’ using enamels, contact paper and leaves.  We printed a leaf onto paper.  Then covered this with sticky paper.  With the back of a spoon we rubbed the image right into the sticky paper.  Next we ran it under water and rubbed the paper away, leaving the image on the (now not) sticky paper.  Once dry, the stickiness returns.  This was then stuck onto glass, like a homemade transfer/decal.

A selection of images prior to being fired in the kiln.

Images on Glass decal 1Below are photos of our glass images after firing.  As a group we used different decals, painting techniques, colours and depth.  Sadly (and oddly) the experimental own transfer/decals didn’t work – the images had disappeared.  I’m going to try it again before the end of the course as this SHOULD work so we’re not sure what happened.  Watch this space.

Images on Glass decal 2I was also intrigued to see what would happen to some of my images if I stacked them and refired them.  I stacked (with 2 layers) some handpainted glass tiles.  I stacked (with 3 layers) butterfly decals.  And totally as an experiment I didn’t think would work was 7 layers of poppies!

Below top left is the firing tray loaded with stacks and the remaining pictures are post firing.  The one that worked best was the poppies.  Next job is to grind and polish the edges and then I’ll show you the 3D element to the stack.

Images on Glass decal 3

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s